Families Forever is an online offering, designed specifically for families that are adopting after a Conditional Custody Order. It is designed to assist families in understanding and preparing for the lifelong journey of adoption.
Any family who signs an Intent to Adopt form signifying their intent to adopt a child or youth in custody through a Conditional Custody Order must complete the Families Forever online training before the adoption is finalized.
The class will take approximately 3 hours to complete and will provide families with the following:
- An overview of the adoption process in the state of Vermont
- An awareness of the differences between care of a child within the Conditional Custody Order and the commitment of Adoption
- An understanding of what the relative child/youth's perspective will be as they move into their permanent home.
- An opportunity to explore a family's strengths and challenges as they move into adoption
- An explanation of the Seven Core Issues of Adoption and how they relate to children and families
- A series of suggestions for Talking with Your Child about The Tough Stuff and Adoption
- A connection to the Pre and Post Adoption resources available to adoptive parents
- An explanation of the DCF policies and practices as they apply to families